Monday, January 16, 2012

Strawberry Crumb Bars

So it's strawberry season down here in Florida. We went to this place called Parkesdale which makes the best Strawberry Shortcakes.
Parkesdale's World Famous Strawberry Shortcake--AMAZING.
Half a flat of strawberries was only $7 and the kids really wanted some soooo we got them! I thought I was going to be able to get away from Pinterest while I was down here but no luck, I'm really addicted. Half of flat ends up being a ridiculous amount of strawberries, so I started looking up recipes and decided I was going to make these bars. (On a side note, I have my aunt really interested in Pinterest too, it's just a matter of time before she gives in. haha) 

Ingredients:
  • 1½ cups sugar, divided
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 sticks (½ lb) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
  • 4 tsp cornstarch
  • Juice of 1 lemon 
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375° F.  Cover a 8x8 pan with aluminum foil (I'm a fan of this way instead of greasing because it's less clean up work.)
  2. In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup of the sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, and 3 cups flour.  
  3. Mix in 1/4 tsp salt and the lemon zest, and stir together with a fork.  Mix in 2 sticks butter and egg.  (The mixture should be crumbly without much loose flour.) 
  4. Spread about half of the dough mixture in an even layer over the bottom of the prepared pan and press down firmly to form the bottom crust.
  5. In another bowl, stir together 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tsp cornstarch and lemon juice.
  6. Gently mix in the strawberries with a rubber spatula until combined.  
  7. Spread the berry mixture evenly over the bottom crust.  
  8. Crumble the remaining dough over the top of the berries.  
  9. Bake for about 45 minutes or until the top is slightly golden brown.  
  10. Cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.
I cut it while it was still kind of warm so that's why the corner is a little messed up. Still good though!

No comments:

Post a Comment